Updated Feb 24, 2019 with latest config.
Further to my post back in 2014 about creating your own automated media centre, I’ve improved on a few aspects of this.
- Replaced Serviio with Emby. Emby is better than Serviio by a long way, and continuously improved. I have a lifetime subscription.
- Enhanced my Flexget setup considerably with new private trackers, variables and IRC.
- Replaced e-mail notifications with Pushbullet push notifications to my iPhone.
- Added an NVIDIA Shield (not pro version, don’t need the HDD) with Emby Android App
- Added Filebot to do automatic extraction and renaming of files into the relevant place for emby to consume. I used the Paid version of this software, well worth it.
- Added in 2019: Systemd unit replaces Upstart for auto start in current Ubuntu (18.04).
Let’s look at the changes one by one.
Not too much to say here, other than Emby is awesome. You can add multiple accounts for friends, and content and watch history is synced across devices. I have multiple devices accessing it including Android TV/Kodi, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, iPhone App, and Google Chrome. I’m not going to detail how to set it up as that is well documented, but suffice to say emby is a great product and I’m a lifetime premium subscriber.
In my setup, media is automatically extracted by Filebot (below) after being downloaded, indexed by emby using real-time file system monitoring, and relevant meta data is downloaded automatically.
Notable plugins that I have installed are:
Emby.Kodi Sync Queue – very important, and provides instant updates to Kodi when new media is available and syncs library deltas to Kodi instead of the entire library.I now use the Emby Android App as it provides a better experience imho.
- CoverArt – make things look pretty.
- Rotten Tomatoes Reviews – self-explanatory.
- Trakt – syncs my libary and watch history with Trakt (cos I’m nerdy).
Flexget is an amazingly powerful tool, and is the brains of the setup. Since my original post, I’ve cleaned up my config and updated it for more recent versions of Flexget, and refined my configuration to abstract some of the configuration using YAML alises. My current configuration is below:Read More